Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Positive Pittie Press

I'm currently reading the book Inside of a Dog: What Dogs See, Smell, and Know by Alexandra Horowitz, which I'm really enjoying. Alexandra looks at how humans perceive dogs, how dogs perceive dogs and how genetics factors into this from a scientific perspective - citing research instead of anecdotes or assumptions.

While I'm hesitant to call this positive pittie press because I truly believe that no dog is inherently aggressive, Ms. Horowitz pointed to an interesting study that concluded that of all dog breeds (German Shepards, Rotties, Dobies, Pits, etc.), the most consistently human aggressive breed was - wait for it - Dachshunds?!

I reread the passage, because I simply couldn't believe it - I fostered a wire-haired Dachshund named Georgie, who, in my personal opinion, was one of the sweetest old men I've ever met, but alas this was what this study had deduced.

Horowitz does discuss how many breeds are labeled as aggressive over time (Rotties in 90s, Pits today) and their reputation is largely unjustified. While I personally feel that the reputation of the pittie is much improved, even from 3 years ago, they still have a long way to go and I sincerely hope that books like this, which are based on scientific research will help ease some of the stereotypes!

No comments:

Post a Comment