Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Dogs of Central Park

About two years ago, G and I were still living in Midtown East and regularly went to Central Park in the mornings to off leash and drain some energy. One particularly cold spring morning, I wasn’t really in the mood to go (did I mention it was cold), but I knew if I could just get myself out of bed (did I mention it was 6 am) we would have fun.

We entered the park at 59th & 5th and made our way around the duck pond. As we approached the north end, near a small Yorkie and its owner I noticed a woman taking photos of the dog. I was immediately jealous as the photographer had a way nicer camera than I and was getting some really beautiful shots in the early morning light, but I smiled and walked on by.

“Excuse me,” I heard the photographer say, “Could I take a photo of your dog?”

Now, as someone who lives in NYC, I would be lying if I said I wasn’t a little suspicious of the photographer’s motives, but like I said, it was a beautiful morning and I decided what the heck – G was frolicking through some daffodils, practically posing anyway. Why not get a good picture?



Fast forward 2 years later and the photographer, Ms. Fran Reisner, is now the author of a gorgeous book called The Dogs of Central Park. G and a brief bio is feature in a 2-page spread (who, me? Brag?!) and it’s such an adorable shot!

G and I also came back a few weekends later when Fran was visiting the park again and she got some beautiful shots of G and her sister, L:




And some of L’s “brothers” A and T:





The book is available at bookstores nationwide, but if you purchase from Fran directly: http://www.facebook.com/l/33e4d/www.thedogsofcentralpark.com will benefit animal rescue organizations!

It's a win win and makes for some great bedtime reading!!



No comments:

Post a Comment